Glassboro completes final phase of Town Square with new fountain, restrooms

It has been almost 120 years since the Glassboro Public Fountain was installed between the intersection of Academy and State streets.

It was placed on July 10, 1900. It was a drinking fountain that doubled as a lamp post. Since that fountain was placed before the time of automobiles, it faced many dangers as technology advanced and was relocated on South Academy Street after 21 years and being struck four times by automobiles.

Several years later it mysteriously disappeared, and was never seen again.

The public fountain had a special significance in Glassboro’s past and during the summer of 2019 its long awaited replacement was installed in anticipation of Glassboro’s 100th Year Anniversary of incorporation scheduled for 2020. Glassboro was incorporated as a borough on March 18, 1920, replacing Glassboro Township.